Bachelor Engineering (Electrical)
Staged Signalling Infrastructure & Commissioning, Signalling Commissioning Engineer
- Michael’s career spans over 20 years in rail infrastructure for both government organisations and private enterprise. Michael’s experience enables him the to manage complex signalling construction and commissioning engineering tasks on large scale metropolitan re-signalling schemes using his specialist insight into the constraints of delivering signalling projects in a multi-discipline environment.
Michael’s strengths lay in his ability to provide a balanced signalling approach where he can apply various degrees of adaptation of signalling staging to optimise project delivery whilst considering non signalling discipline constraints. Michael’s peripheral appreciation of all disciplines whilst maintaining signal system integrity is an extremely valued skill and in this way Michael combines with the other members of Rail Planning Services to deliver a truly balanced team of rail experienced professionals.
- Michael has been involved the rail industry from both a public and private perspective for over 25 years. Since 2006, Michael has had an involvement with virtually all major rail projects in Sydney, including PPP projects and other commercial mechanisms such as Alliances and Managing Contractors. Examples of the projects that Michael has had a presence on include Sydney Metro Northwest, Sydney Metro CBD & Southwest, Hornsby Junction Remodelling, North Strathfield Rail Underpass Alliance, Kingsgrove to Revesby Quadruplication, South West Rail Link (including Glenfield Junction Remodelling), and Epping to Chatswood Rail Link.
- Michael has demonstrated project delivery experience, with a speciality on rail systems projects in New South Wales. In recent years Michael has worked on a number of major rail projects in Sydney in both client and contractor side roles, including significant work in the development phase of the project lifecycle. Michael has an excellent knowledge of the operational environment present in rail organisations, having worked throughout Transport for NSW, including Sydney Metro, Sydney Trains and TfNSW Infrastructure & Services. Most of Michael’s recent roles have involved significant stakeholder management, both internal to the project and with external parties. Whilst specialising in rail systems, Michael has significant multi-disciplinary experience.
- Michael’s strong skillset is complemented by commercial acumen, specifically in project delivery.
- Project Management
- Concept Development
- Construction Methodology & Staging Development
- Design & Construction Management
- Commissioning and Operational Readiness
- Brownfield Rail Construction Management
- Interface Management
Rail Planning Services – Director
Director – Signalling & Systems 2006 – Present
New Intercity Fleet Maintenance Facility – Assisting Transport for NSW with the scoping, staging and procurement of the new Maintenance Facility required to support the NIF rolling stock.
Sydney Metro CBD & Southwest – Assisted with the reference design development, specifically the conversion & commissioning of the existing Bankstown Line heavy rail corridor to Metro rail systems.
Sydney Metro Northwest – Provided concept development – including Early and Enabling works packages, scope identification, procurement strategy for rail interface, detailed scope of work and construction staging, ECRL re-fit scope of works and concept development and construction design reviews. Further work includes involvement in the identification, scoping and assisting with procurement of Managing Contractor for North Shore Capacity Improvement project.
Engineering Assurance – Management of the Transport Projects Division Signalling & Communications Engineering Assurance section.
Advanced Trains Control System Technical Advisor – Part of the team looking at the future train control technology for Sydney (ETCS Level 2).
Hornsby Junction Project – Detailed planning of complex junction infrastructure changes. Assess operational impacts of commissioning. Identification of construction alternatives to achieve desired project outcome. Project construction and commissioning risk assessment. Involvement in the procurement of the project (dual TOC Alliance).
Northern Sydney Freight Corridor – Provided concept development, enabling works scope development, Construction staging, and technical assistance during procurement and preparation of staging and Commissioning Strategy for final layout.
Epping to Chatswood Rail Link for RailCorp – Management of the signalling construction of the Epping and Chatswood interfaces of the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link Project, including all stagework. Signals Commissioning Engineer for both the Epping and Chatswood Interfaces, including responsibility for all stagework and the final commissioning of these interfaces and Signal Commissioning Engineer for the ‘greenfield’ portion of Epping to Chatswood Rail Link Project, and assisted with the final commissioning of the project.
Senior Signals Project Engineer/Test and Commissioning Engineer 2000 – 2006
The successful completion of a number of projects as part of the Signalling Works Program, consisting of approximately $7.5M annually. Developed and implemented Signalling Documentation system in order to standardise the documentation produced for signalling construction activities and assisted with the change management process, lowering the division’s injury rate by 400%.
Fluor Australia, Signals Engineer – Waterfall and Bomaderry 998 – 2000
Sydney Light Rail Technical Mnager 1997 – 1998
Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) – University of Technology, Sydney