Alison is an undergraduate studying Bachelor of Engineering (Civil / Structures) and Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) at the University of Sydney. Alison’s experience to date, has mostly been based around her Bachelor of Science studies as she has been tutoring Mathematics. However, she is now seeking to broaden her knowledge of Engineering and the practical aspects of delivering large infrastructure projects. In particular, she wants to gain a greater appreciation of project management, construction management and understanding of client side delivery.
As an undergraduate (in Rail Planning Services) our goal for Alison is to experience all facets of Engineering. She exhibits strong leadership qualities and we are confident in her abilities to provide the necessary support and gain the fundamental experience that will set her up for a long & successful career.
Strengths & Skills
• Enthusiastic – is keen to learn about all facets of Project Management, Stakeholder Management, Construction and delivering complex multi disciplined Infrastructure Projects.
• Communication Skills – possesses great written and verbal communication skills. Has the ability to present in front of large audiences, which she has demonstrated in her tutoring roles at USYD and Pre Uni New College.
• Team Player – demonstrates ability to work with others to achieve a common outcome.
• Leadership Capabilities – Alison exhibits future leadership capacities in her previous experiences and involvement at university, sports and high school.
• July 2015 – Present: University of Sydney tutor of first year engineering subject “Professional Engineering”. This role involves preparing and leading tutorial classes, mentoring students, attending weekly planning meetings and marking assessments.
• July 2014 – Present: Private mathematics tutor for primary and high school students.
• April 2013 – Present: Pre Uni New College (Homebush Campus), Project Advisor of Elite Maths Faculty. This role involves teaching small classes, individual tutoring, material formation, task delegation, promotional calling and occasional administration work.
• April 2009 – Present: Qualified Umpire for Ashbury Netball Club. Qualifications/training is under the guidance of Inner Western Suburbs Netball Association.
December 2010 – November 2011: Retail/Customer Service Assistant at Il Villaggio Summer Hill (grocer/deli/café). This role involved register work, cash handling, café waitressing, shelf packing, fruit/vegetable packing and some administration work.
Community Participation / Extracurricular Activities
• December 2014 – February 2015: Undertook an AIESEC summer exchange volunteer program for eight weeks in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. This involved teaching English to students aged 7-18 with very limited language skills.
• 2015: Honoured member of Sydney University Women In Engineering Society. Involves attendance at various social and professional events.
• 2015: Conducted an Engineers Without Borders High School Outreach Program, which involved presenting material and supervising interactive workshops relating to humanitarian engineering.
• 2015: Enthusiastic participant of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme. I attained the Bronze and Silver Awards throughout high school and I continue to work towards attaining my Gold Award.
• February 2015: University of Sydney Orientation Week Volunteer. This trained position involved addressing enquiries of incoming students in relation to enrolment, clubs & societies and university life, as well as guiding international students on ‘Welcome to Sydney’ city day tours.
• 2013 – Present: Active member of the University of Sydney Union Volunteering Team (V-Team). Involves regular participation in both on campus and off campus events such as the Vivid Festival and the Parkinsons Unity Walk.
• 2012: Attended the National Youth Science Forum – a 12 day science camp (Canberra) involving university lab visits, open forum debates and leadership workshops. Through this camp I gained an extensive insight into the infinite career opportunities that science and engineering have to offer. A life-changing experience!
• 2011 – 2012: School Prefect – elected by both teachers and peers. This position involved chairing formal assemblies, preparing and delivering various speeches, organising the ‘Prefects Afternoon Tea’ and working closely with teachers and fellow students to accomplish Prefect Body Goals.
• 2011: Established a peer-mentoring program at Burwood Girls High School. I conducted weekly small group tutoring sessions for struggling year 7 students and provided a mentoring relationship for students to improve their attitudes towards learning.
• 2007 – 2011: Adopted various leadership roles throughout junior high school such as SRC representative and Sports House Captain. These roles enabled me to make a true impact on school life for both current and upcoming students, and through these experiences I learnt that positivity and enthusiasm are the most fundamental qualities necessary to establish change.
Qualifications & Affiliations
Tertiary: Currently undertaking a Bachelor of Engineering (Civil (Structures)) and a Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) at the University of Sydney with an expected completion year of 2017. Current WAM of 74.
Secondary: Completed the Higher School Certificate at Burwood Girls High School in 2012 with an ATAR of 96.45.
Rail Planning Services Collaborators: