- With a career spanning 38 years as a professional engineer in the rail industry, Andrew has a strong and diverse background in railway civil engineering. His previous position involved technical analysis and strategic management of the wheel rail interface for the Sydney train system, as well as standards development, track condition monitoring and incident investigation. He has also held positions as a project manager, civil engineering advisor, system safety auditor, incident investigator, civil maintenance engineer and construction project engineer.
- He recently conducted extensive investigation and analysis of rail squat issue on Sydney rail network and presented 2 papers on this subject to Conferences on Railway Engineering, in 2008 and 2012. Other achievements include the delivery of the track and track support system for the Sydney airport rail line, 2 electrification projects, extensions to Blacktown stabling sidings, and the construction of some 55 rail and road bridges and other rail infrastructure. He also spent a total of 6 years managing maintenance of civil rail infrastructure between Helensburgh and Bomaderry.
Strengths & Skills
- Specific technical knowledge and understanding of rail/wheel interface issues
- Sound technical knowledge of railway track engineering
- Sound knowledge of track engineering standards
- Sound knowledge of rail lubrication
- Strong background in rail incident and derailment investigation
- Strong project management capability, in a rail environment
- Strong understanding of railway safety requirements
Rail Planning Services
Technical Specialist – Track 2014 – Present
Review of all Country Regional Network Track classes and track structure to meet revised operational strategies.
Investigate the implementation of WTSA on the Country Regional Network and mentor staff in its application
Technical Specialist Rail Wheel – Track Engineering Group 2006 – 2014
Monitor, analyse and develop strategies for management of wheel rail interface on Sydney network. Investigate. Analyse and develop strategies to manage rail squat issue. General monitoring of network track integrity. Develop track engineering standards. Manage and approve track monitoring for undertrack crossings. Investigate incidents.
Project Manager – Major Projects Division 2004 – 2006
Develop and Deliver infrastructure projects, including Mechanised Track Patrol, Blacktown stabling sidings, Metro West RTA interface works and reliability projects.
Civil Engineering – Adviser/Auditor/ Mentor 2001- 2004
Conduct rail safety audits of engineering systems. Investigate incidents and provide technical support.
Project Manager – Trackwork and Overhead Wiring for South Coast Electrification 2000-2001
Bid, negotiate and deliver contracts for design and construction of track work and overhead wiring between Dapto and Kiama. Act as contractor’s representative.
Trackwork Manager – NSR Fitout Project 1998-2000
Deliver design, construction and commissioning of track and track support system for Sydney Airport Line. Resolving issues with track alignment and tunnel alignment compatibility.
District Civil Engineer – CityRail Wollongong 1994–1998
Manage civil engineering maintenance and construction activities between Helensburgh and Bomaderry.
Project Manager – South Coast Electrification Project 1991–1994
Investigate, plan document and deliver electrification works between Coniston and Dapto.
Project Manager – South Coast Bridge Renewals Programme 1990–1991
Deliver bridge renewal programme on the Illawarra Line
Site Engineer South, Metropolitan Construction Engineer 1986–1989
Site manage construction projects including bridges, drainage, track, earthworks and geotechnical works.
District Engineer, Wollongong 1984–1986
Manage district maintenance of track and structures.
Project Engineer, Newcastle 1978–1983
Supervise construction, upgrading and maintenance works.
Qualifications & Affiliations
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) – University of NSW, 1976
- Advanced Rail Safety Investigation Short Course – University of NSW, 2002
- Derailment Cause Analysis – Queensland Rail, 2003
- Certificate 4 Workplace Training and Assessment – TAFE Shellharbour, 2003
- Wheel Rail Interaction Course – ARA / IHHA / University of Pretoria, 2006
- PWI of NSW Steve Maxwell Plate Laying Award, Major Works Section, 2000.
- PWI of NSW Ken Erickson Achievement Award commendation, 2008.