Chris is a professional electrical engineer with extensive rail industry in a variety of aspects including power system planning and design, construction and commissioning of substations, HV distribution (aerial transmission lines and underground cables) and 1500V DC overhead wiring.
Chris has extensive experience in project engineering/management of many rail projects has allowed attainment of Diploma in Project Management in 2007. Major projects include ECRL Interface, Berowra 66kV Bulk Supply Point, Parramatta 11kV upgrade and Western and Northern line pilot wire installation. Across all these projects there has been exposure to all aspects of projects including procurement (long lead time equipment, labour hire and contracts), multi discipline interfaces (combined services routes, possession programming), design co-ordination (track, civil, signals, electrical & comms), contract management( earthing systems, cable routes, 1500V OHW construction), environmental and heritage issues, stakeholder management, programming, possession planning, construction staging and supervision, inspection, testing and commissioning activities, risk management and lessons learnt. Very familiar with the live rail environment including safeworking and excellent knowledge of electrical network safety rules and permit systems.
Chris has a high level of interpersonal skills and positive approach with a focus on getting the job done has allowed the successful delivery of many projects to date. He utilises lessons learnt from past projects on each new project to ensure continuous improvement in project delivery.
Strengths & Skills
- Systems engineering approach with theoretical base from Masters in Engineering Asset Management (completed in 2011 with distinction) and practical experience in all phases of the asset life cycle.
- Extensive experience in proposed operating diagram assessment and review
- Preparation & review of electrical equipment specifications e.g. 72kV dead tank ACCB’s, DC harmonic filter, HV AC cables.
- Procurement of electrical equipment for substations, 1500V OHW and HV aerial and cable feeders including major equipment tender assessments.
- Review and investigation of network incidents, including reference to SCADA logs, analogs from SCADA and train location system. Highly developed problem solving skills allow identification of root causes.
- Advice to maintenance staff on the impacts of proposed planned electrical outages.
- Preparation, review and passing of advices to amend electrical operating diagrams.
- Contribute to asset assurance activities including the asset integrity report.
- Electrical network reliability/availability calculations/assessments
Technical Specialist Modelling 2009-2016
Responsible for power system modelling including DC traction studies, AC traction load flow studies, harmonic analysis and network planning. Major studies delivered include Timetable Assurance, Airport Line DC study & SWRL AC study. Also involved in technical review meetings for NWRL, earthing design and proposed diagram assessment and approval.
Project Engineer/Project Manager 2003 – 2009
Epping to Chatswood Rail Link Interface Works – Responsible for-scoping, planning, estimating and construction management of the electrical component of the large and complex multi-discipline Epping to Chatswood Rail Link Interface project. Also delivered other standalone projects – Berowra 66kV bulk supply and Parramatta 11kV upgrade.
Project Engineer Electrical Projects 1997 – 2003
Responsible for the planning and delivery of projects including site inspections, supervision / monitoring of contractors, negotiating with asset owners on project scopes, objectives and deliverables and preparation of project reports for clients. Procurement of equipment for projects, principally for traction and non-traction substations, transmission lines and railway traction overhead wiring.