A Technical Specialist with 45 years’ experience and with extensive knowledge of Railway Electrical Systems. This experience provided Colin with excellent capabilities to build and manage stakeholder relationships, technology implementation, asset maintenance, safety and electrical operations.
Strengths & Skills
- Held accreditation from Sydney Trains in electrical operation and satisfies the competency requirements of an authorized officer and authorized operator Substations.
- Excellent knowledge of all facets of High Voltage Traction and Distribution Substations.
- Excellent knowledge of Low Voltage Electrical systems including Consumers Mains and Switchboards.
- Extensive knowledge of Testing and Commissioning procedures for both High and Low Voltage electrical systems.
- Understands resource management and constraints from his experience in effectively managing work teams within operational rail network.
- Detailed understanding of the OHS and Electrical safety responsibilities as per Sydney Trains safety management system requirements.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work as an effective and efficient member of small and large work teams.
Rail Planning Services
Electrical Advisor 2015 – Present
Assisted in the transition of Electrical TMP’s for the introduction of Sydney Trains new EAMS.
Provided input to BECA on the design and operation of sub-stations for various D&C contracts
Sydney Trains NSW
Electrical Team Manager (Special Projects) – Maintenance Directorate 2013 – 2014
Responsible for technical support to the new Network Bases at Blacktown and Lawson. Carryout Root Cause Analysis of all major incidents and failures within the district using Lean Six sigma principles. Supervised contractors engaged to install temperature and current measuring equipment on 1500v feeder cables as part of the Asset Risk Mitigation Strategy driven by the Power Supply Upgrade program. Support electrical isolations for all major possessions.
Acting Team Manager (Electrical) – Blacktown Network Base 2013 – 2013
Responsible for smooth transition from the old RailCorp depot into the new Sydney Trains Network Base model. Introduced and mentored staff to the Visual Management Centre format using Lean Six Sigma principles. Managed a joint Electrical Mains and Electrical Distribution team.
Electrical Team Manager (West and South West Region) 1986 – 2013
Responsible for maintaining all low voltage supplies and equipment including emergency callout to Railway stations in the territory and all High Voltage Traction and Distribution Substations as well as signal power supplies.
Responsible for carrying out all cable searches within the district and the management of systems installation, construction and commissioning work. Responsible for Project handover and closure and training and mentoring of staff.
Team Manager Electronics and Clocks 1984 – 1986
Responsible for the design and manufacture of electrical test equipment, Test Sticks, Power Supplies) and the manufacture and repair printed circuit cards for all substation equipment. Responsible for all impulse, synchronous and battery clocks for entire rail network and the re-built and maintained the tower clock at Central Station.
Substation Technician Class 2 (Substation Maintenance, Construction & SCADA) 1977 – 1984
Substation Technician Class 1 (Substation Maintenance & Construction) 1975 – 1977
Electrical Fitter/Mechanic (Electronics and Clocks Section) 1973 – 1975
Apprentice Electrical Fitter/Mechanic 1969 – 1978
Qualifications & Affiliations
Electrical Trade Certificate – Railway Institute Sydney, 1973
Industrial Electronics Certificate – Mt Druitt Tafe College, 1982
Electrical Contractors/Supervisors License (6377C) Department of Fair Trading, 1988
Authorised Officer /Operator Substations- Sydney Trains, 1975
Protection Officer Level 2 – Sydney Trains, 1993
Sean Budge, Senior Manager Electrical Resources and Commissioning, Transport for NSW,
Mob 0412 521 544
John Minchin, Previously Program Lead – Electrical Reliability, Sydney Trains
Mob 0412 278 511