James’ career was initially founded by project delivery experience with a tier one contractor in the UK and encompasses 20 years’ experience in the analysis and management of infrastructure projects. Following attainment of Chartered Engineer status he has worked with Australian management consultancies predominantly on major infrastructure projects. His experience with feasibility, planning, design, construction and operational readiness phases of projects permit him to consider and balance the technical and managerial aspects of any role.
STRENGHTS AND SKILLS
• Ability to work through complex rail and construction interfaces with multiple stakeholder to achieve outcomes.
• Local working knowledge through first hand interaction with major utility providers often associated with large infrastructure projects.
• Proven ability to work within a dynamic team blending site and senior management interfaces and lead as required.
• First-hand experience on complex stabling infrastructure facility construction for rail system/rolling stock.
- Rail Planning Services – Contractor. Delivery Manager – TfNSW – North West Rail Link 2013 – Present
High Voltage Delivery Manager within an integrated client team. Working collaboratively with the Early Works Managing Contractor to deliver four 11kV construction supplies to tunneling worksites and relocation of other electrical assets. Additionally represented the client team on the Safety Leadership team, Compliance Working Group and the Independent Property Impact Assessment Panel.
- Evans & Peck, Australia – Senior Associate 2008 – 2012
North West Rail Link TfNSW early works and constructability advisor on a project to provide a new 38km rail line from Epping to Rouse Hill. Following identification of $70M of critical early works formed a leading part of a team responsible for procurement of a managing contractor to deliver the identified works including road and traffic adjustments, major utilities relocation and high voltage power supplies for major tunneling equipment.Southern Sydney Freight Line Australian Rail Track Corporation Pre-Construction Manager and then Design Manager on a project to insert a dedicated 36km long freight line in to the existing live rail corridor. A member of the leadership team reporting to the Project Director and responsible for completion, stakeholder approval and integration of multidisciplinary design.
Gosford/Warnervale Stabling Study RailCorp constructability, program and cost advice for 3 Options, including risk based estimates.
- Tenix – General Manager/Manager 2005 – 2008
Full financial responsibility for Tenix Projects, a specialist Project/Contract management division of the $A600m turnover Tenix Alliance business. Key achievements included successfully delivering a positive EBIT result for a business unit that had made a trading loss under previous management and leading the transition from a separate business to a division of Tenix Alliance without losing key staff or clients.
- Macdonaldtown Stabling Project, Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation – Principal’s Representative and contract management for Design and Construction delivery of a new $A40m rail stabling facility. Preparation of pre tender estimates, cost plans, programme and risk analyses for proposed rail expansion projects of combined value >$A6bn.
Waste Mine Gas Power Stations, Envirogen – responsible for planning approvals, environmental licensing, delivery and operation of power generation plants up to 20MW capacity at 4 locations.
Tempe Lands remediation and development, Marrickville Council – remediation and development of a 40Ha contaminated former waste tip.
- LSM Projects – Project Manager 2002 – 2005
Rail major projects, Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation and RailCorp – Evaluation of options for proposed major rail projects including constructability, construction methodology, budget and programming.
Sub Agent 1993 – 2002
Kings Cross St Pancras Underground Station redevelopment, London Underground
Paddington Station Masterplan, Railtrack
Heathrow Express Rail Link, British Airports Authority
QUALIFICATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
Masters Eng (Civil) + (CPEng)
Member of Institution of Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
Member of Permanent Way Institution of NSW
Rail Safety Worker, Rail Industry Safety Induction
WH&S General Construction Induction
Rail Planning Services Collaborators: