John is an internationally experienced project manager having worked on the delivery of various technological projects in Australia, UK and Japan.
John has 35 years’ experience supporting Railways in NSW in the delivery of major infrastructure projects and maintenance. He is an experience manager in the rail environment having managed teams, groups and Divisions for over 20 years. He has significant expertise with electrical design, protection and system operation having managed these areas in his early career. He is an experience leader with both technical and management skills.
STRENGHTS AND SKILLS
• Significant expertise with electrical design.
• Railway Infrastructure Maintenance.
• Electrical Distribution and Mains.
• Collaborative approach – lives the values.
• An experienced coach who is also qualified in the 360 degree survey tool LSI.
• Leading large teams of technical staff in the three infrastructure disciplines of Civil, Signals and Electrical.
• Introducing new techniques to teams such as lean and six sigma.
• Sydney Trains – Program Lead – Electrical Reliability 2013 – Present
Responsibility for development and delivery of a number of mitigation programs including replacement of the Type 5 Section Insulator, Load and Temperature Monitoring of key 1500V feeders and monitoring of the performance of the Sydney Trains electrical network. Also assisting Transport Projects Division of Transport for NSW to deliver the Power Supply Upgrading project.
• RailCorp Reform – Stream Lead Op Model Maintenance Reform 2012 – 2013
Coordinate on behalf of the Director Maintenance, the changed Operating Model from RailCorp to Sydney Trains. This involved the recruiting of all positions reporting to the Director and level below. Changes to a significant number of business units.
• RailCorp – General Manager Infrastructure Maintenance 2003 – 2012
Oversee and co-ordinate the management of Infrastructure Maintenance Division assets to ensure they
meet agreed specifications in a safe, reliable, and financially responsible manner. The division has 1400 staff and over $400 million operating budget. It is responsible for 1600km of track, 350 stations, 776 bridges, 115 traction substations and 3433 signals.
Responsible for the merger of Rail Infrastructure Corporation and State Rail into RailCorp, improved
infrastructure reliability and effectively manage staff expectations in a time of change. Successful
completion of $40m Depot Improvement Program, purchase of major new Plant such as the Excavator with
tamping heads, introduction of the Bridge Management System and probity briefings and introduction of the procurement compliance report.
• Regional Manager – Metro West 2001 – 2003
QUALIFICATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
• Rail Services Australia
• Project Manager Olympic Services 2000 – 2001
• Project Manager – Metro West 1998 – 2000
• B Eng Electrical Engineering – University of NSW (1978)
• Electrical Contractor Licence
• Accredited Practitioner, LSI
Rail Planning Services Collaborators: