- Lewis is currently a Portfolio Integration Manager with TPO.
- Lewis’ career incorporates over 30 years’ experience managing road, rail and urban development projects in both government entities and private enterprise.
Whilst at RailCorp Lewis delivered many large, high profile multidiscipline rail infrastructure projects, such as the Flemington Freight Priority and Lidcombe Sprint Platform projects, the enabling/interface projects for the New Southern Railway (Airport Line) and the Bondi Junction Turnback and, more recently, managed a team of project managers collaboratively managing the interface between RailCorp and TPD on the Rail Clearways and other Programs.
- Lewis and his team were recognised in the RailCorp Leadership Awards, winning the award for Teambuilding for their work internally and with TPD.
- His background and previous roles at Sydney Trains (RailCorp) provide him with a valuable insight into the operational aspects of rail and the interfaces with infrastructure delivery. He has well established networks within the industry which facilitate discussion and resolution of issues with all levels of stakeholders.
Lewis has also led project and construction teams delivering subdivisions, road upgrades and bridgeworks in the ACT and Sydney, large highway earthworks and drainage projects throughout NSW, major multidiscipline rail projects throughout the Sydney Metropolitan Rail Network and a large rail track construction project in Hong Kong. Over the past five years Lewis has been responsible for the successful interface management between Sydney Trains and Transport Projects Delivery Office, with the last six months incorporating portfolio integration across Transport Projects Division.
- His construction experience allows him to have a pragmatic view of projects, often allowing simple, no-fuss, solutions to challenging problems, including staging of complex projects. His ability to bring together the client, the deliverer and interfacing stakeholders to work as one team has led to the delivery of many demanding projects with minimal conflict or delays.
Strengths & Skills
- Superior ability to manage contracts and the resulting interfaces across government and private enterprise, developing a collaborative workplace meeting all participants’ requirements.
- Experienced in the planning, and delivery of major brownfield projects in rail environments
- Experience and ability to lead large multi-disciplined rail projects and work with multi-disciplined project teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong leader, team player and mentor; coordinating and managing his teams and incorporating the inclusion of interfacing stakeholders into the solution.
TfNSW - Transport Projects Division, Portfolio Integration Manager 2014 - 2015
- Management of co-ordination and resolution of cross portfolio issues across Transport Projects Delivery Office (TPO) working collaboratively with Sydney Trains and other rail stakeholders to create a seamless interface between the organisations; Whilst in this role he has:
- Developed and presented a monthly report to the executive Management Meeting on current cross portfolio issues and the necessary actions towards resolution
- Identified areas where TPO’s representation at Sydney Trains’ meetings has helped manage perceptions raised and forge a better understanding between the organisations.
- Reconvened the TPO Portfolio Possession Coordination Meeting where cross portfolio discussion and collaboration on upcoming possessions and related issues, are discussed to develop a ‘TPO Approach” prior to attending the Sydney Trains Possession Coordination Meeting.
- Finalised the implementation of Sydney Trains PACT tool into TPD including arranging training and following up with change requests to Sydney Trains to improve the system.
- Managed consolidated answers to many Sydney Trains requests, such as possession changes, issues with critical resources
- Commenced fortnightly meetings with Sydney Trains asset Management Division to identify and resolve inter agency issues.
- Worked with TfNSW Transport Services Division to review and accept/reject rail system incidents initially attributed to TPO. Additionally working with the Manager, Rail Contracts to determine how governance under the Rail Services Contract can better suit TPO.
- Attended Sydney Trains meetings representing the TPO Portfolio wide view on issues and similarly ensuring that TPO are aware of issues raised by Sydney Trains. (Meetings include: Rail Timetable Implementation Committee, Delivery Interface Steering Group, Timetable Specification Determination Meetings and many ad-hoc meetings arranged to resolve specific issues as they arise).
RailCorp, Senior Project Manager, Major External Works 2009 - 2013
- Responsible for the successful delivery of the $2.1billion Rail Clearways Program which included the Kingsgrove to Revesby Quadruplication, Cronulla Line Duplication and Upgrade, Homebush and Lidcombe Turnbacks, Richmond Line Duplication and Macarthur Turnback projects. Management of the TPD/RailCorp Interfaces which included ensuring that RailCorp’s requirements, including safety, scope, quality, budget and program are adhered to by TfNSW Transport Projects Division (TPD) throughout the delivery of these projects. A major requirement of his team was to act as a conduit between all RailCorp stakeholders and TPD to define RailCorp’s requirements for the specific projects in a timely manner and ensure that these are forwarded to, and incorporated by, TPD and their contractors in the project’s design and construction.
Senior Project Manager, New Infrastructure 2006 to 2009
- Responsible for managing a team of project managers primarily responsible for the delivery of RailCorp provided capital rail infrastructure works to external Government parties at the live operational interface points. Coordination of the delivery of projects whilst working through the often conflicting requirements of TIDC and the RTA and their contractors and RailCorp to deliver an outcome suitable to both.
- Projects managed include: Delivery of stations systems, signal and control systems commissioning interface works on various Rail Clearways Projects including Berowra New Platform, Hornsby Platform 5 and Yard Upgrading, Macdonaldtown Stabling and Revesby Turnback, with a value of $45.5million for TIDC, concurrent with rail infrastructure construction projects necessary for the delivery of the RTA’s Great Western Highway Upgrade project, including the $18m Lawson Turnback Project.
Rail Infrastructure Corporation (RIC)/ RailCorp, Senior Project Manager 2002 - 2006
- Responsible for the delivery of the Bondi Junction Turnback and Stabling Project which involved the tunneling of a crossover passage and installation of all new infrastructure whilst maintaining operations on the ESR Line. He managed the concept definition, design, construction and finalisation of this project including discussions and negotiations with internal and external stakeholders.
Leighton RSA Joint Venture (Hong Kong), Construction Manager 1999 - 2002
- Responsible for the management of all permanent way track construction works on the Kowloon Canton Railway’s $HK750million West Rail Permanent Way contract. Trackforms included over 29km of Low Vibration Track and Floating Slab Track within tunnels and 20km of ballasted track at the Maintenance Depot. A key success factor was the successful negotiation with interfacing contractors to co-ordinate early access into their work areas, allowing the project to meet a very tight delivery program.
State Rail Authority / Rail Services Australia, Project Manager 1993 - 1999
- Managed all stages of the project lifecycle for many multidiscipline rail infrastructure projects for Rail Services Australia (formerly State Rail Authority of NSW).
MacMahon Construction Pty Ltd, Project Manager 1990 - 1993
Qualifications & Affiliations
- Bachelor of Engineering - Civil Engineering – UTS (1985)
- Diploma of Project Management- UNE (2014)
- Member NSW PWI since 1996