Louie is a qualified Engineer with extensive experience in managing the delivery and commissioning of Control Systems projects, multi-discipline design packages including the implementation of new track crossovers, OHW and re-signalling projects.
Strengths & Skills
- Project Management from concept through to planning, design, implementation, testing and commissioning.
- Coordinating project activities and resources involving multi-discipline engineering design and construction teams consisting of both contractors and internal personnel.
- Managing teams in both installation and site testing of control systems within a public sensitive environment, ensuring safety is not compromised and with minimal disruption to existing operations.
- Extensive experience in rail systems risk assessments, test and commissioning strategies, the preparation of project management plans, concept designs, signalling interface specifications, user requirements and commissioning work packages.
- Dealing with various stakeholders such as Signal/Civil/Electrical/Rolling Stock Design and Construction, Divisional Heads, Communications, Standards, Area Controllers, Asset Managers, Service Delivery, Product Development, Infrastructure Regions, Safe Working, ICT and Train Planning during the scoping and approval stages of projects.
- Development of concept designs/functional specifications for the implementation of signal control SCADA and remote train monitoring systems.
- Development of ATP (ETCS L1) proposals and commissioning strategy/plans for rail networks
- Preparation of tender specifications for control systems and Wayside Monitoring systems, evaluation of tenders and finally managing of the contracts
Rail Planning Services/Sydney Trains
Systems Project Manager 2016 – Present
Delivery of control systems based projects for the Sydney Trains network as part of the 2018 Timetable Enabling Works program. The program is critical in the improvement of train headways on the existing network and for the successful integration of TfNSW’s Metro North West Rail system with the existing network especially at Chatswood.
ATRICS Systems Integration & Commissioning Manager 2014 – 2016
Coordinate the integration of ATRICS design and testing activities in line with overall project delivery requirements. Lead a team of integration specialists and project managers in the delivery of Control Systems projects to ensure they meet the agreed scope of works in a financially responsible manner within a safe working environment in compliance with Sydney Trains reliability and quality requirements.
Aurecon (Novo Rail)
Project Design Manager 2010 – 2013
Manage the multi-discipline design deliverables requirements of the project consisting of track, overhead wiring and signalling for the Sophie Junction modifications as part of the PPP Waratah train program at Cardiff Workshops. Manage the ETCS Trackside interface design deliverables for RailCorp on the Main North Line. The first ETCS Level 1 implementation in Australia. Manage the Systems design deliverables for the LGCUP project as part of the re-signalling and track re-modelling of the main western corridor.
Project Manager 2008 – 2009
As the main contractor to RailCorp, manage the design and construct project for the re-signalling of the Sutherland – Oatley – Loftus (SOLAR) rail corridor. The project involved the design, supply and installation of signalling equipment and a new Microlok interlocking for the re-signalling of Sutherland, including all three interfaces. Manage Ansaldo’s participation in achieving RailCorp’s ATP Type Approval of their ERTMS Level 1 system.
ATP Project Engineer, Communications and Control Systems 2007 – 2008
Manage one of the three contracts for the introduction of the European Train Control System (ETCS) technology as part RailCorp’s $15M Automatic Train Protection (ATP) Trial project in the Blue Mountains.
Project Manager, Renewals Division 2006 – 2007
As part of RailCorp’s $9M Wayside Monitoring Strategy for the early warning detection of potential failures of rolling stock operating through RailCorp’s network to minimise operational delays.
Project Manager, Communications and Control Systems 2001 – 2006
Project managed the rollout of the Metropolitan Signal Control System (MSCS) project based on the Advanced Train Running Information & Control System (ATRICS). The ATRICS system is developed on a Microsoft Windows 2000/NT environment using Visual C++ and Visual Basic and SQL/Access database.
Rail Services Australia
Senior Technical Engineer, Consulting Division 1997 – 2001
Deliver key infrastructure improvements of the rail network in readiness for the Sydney 2000 Olympics. Rail Services main objective was to maintain and renew rail infrastructure assets to meet safety and reliability levels.
Qualifications & Affiliations
Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) Degree with Second Class Honours – University of Technology, 1992