TfNSW – North West Rail Link
- The Auburn Stabling Project (ASP) was constructed to provide stabling facilities for Sydney Trains trainsets in a response to the predicted demand rate for passenger rail services by 2020. The fundamental purpose of the ASP will be to house trains that provide services to inner core of Sector 2. This facility allows trains to be stored, cleaned of rubbish and receive minor repairs and to protect them from vandalism. Additional trainsets are now able to efficiently enter and exit the facility especially during the morning and evening peaks where the available windows in corridor traffic are smaller and less frequent. Stage 1 of the facility provides for 11 stabling roads and an exit onto the Down Relief at the Clyde end of the facility.
Scope of Service
- The ASP includes both greenfield and brownfield works, in particular the live rail connection to the Down Relief line. The construction is made more difficult by the interface with the Auburn Maintenance Facility and the Sydney Trains Auburn Maintenance Centre which operate around the clock both building new Warratah Trains and maintaining the existing Sydney Trains Fleet.
- The role undertaken by Rail Planning Services was to utilise top industry resources and our extensive rail industry network to provide clear resolution of the projects construction and operation interface with all project stakeholders. Specific scope targets included:
- • Ensuring that ‘true’ scope is captured.
• Identify any Enabling Works required.
• Produce detailed construction staging diagrams and programs of stages &
• Carry out detailed constructability reviews on designs.
• Manage stakeholder expectations.
• Identify critical resource requirements.
• Consider commissioning requirements and strategies.
The ASP project will be brought on line in August 2014 therefore enabling the new stabling
facility to be utilised for the anticipated October 2014 timetable change. Rail Planning
Services remain part of a select group of suppliers with a high level of client trust and
reliance to delivery valuable infrastructure projects for Sydney and NSW.