Rail Systems and Infrastructure, Workshop Facilitation
BE Civil (1st Hons), MIEAust
Daniel’s Professional career spans over 20 years with experience in both government rail entities and private enterprise. Daniel has a Bachelor of Civil Engineering from the University or Technology, Sydney with first class honours; he is also a Member of the Institution of Engineers, Australia. Daniel has close links with the rail industry in NSW and is a committee member of the NSW Permanent Way Institution, having been the PWI editor from 1999 – 2008 establishing contacts throughout NSW, Australia and in the UK. Daniel’s strengths lay in his ability to combine his workshop facilitation and leadership skills with his project management, design experience and site delivery experience, in this way Daniel combines with the other members of Rail Planning Services to deliver a truly balanced team of rail experienced professionals
- Daniel specialises in Project Direction, Management and Delivery Strategies for complex rail infrastructure projects. Extensive years of construction planning/delivery to unlock the ‘best for project’ options range from initial feasibility to detail possession (hour-by-hour) planning into project commissioning. Recognising the interfaces between disciplines and delivery phases of the project cycle mean interface risk management is addressed in terms of both technical and time aspects. Hands on experience in large rail infrastructure projects with integrated systems means no project is too complex. Daniel relishes live rail (brown field) project management and project planning that others shy away from. Daniel connections within the rail industry as well as the wide range of discipline experts within Rail Planning Services and abroad allows him to lead dynamic delivery solutions.
Strengths & Skills
- Demonstrated ability to scope, estimate, program, stage, initiate delivery plans, business case and EIS contribution , design development and construct major rail construction projects with a specialty in complex live rail interfaces.
- Hands on experience in constructability in design, design development and live rail interface staging reviews of major rail construction projects and managing adjoining stakeholder interfaces.
- Experience across numerous rail disciplines and proficient with technical subject matter experts.
- Strong business acumen and appreciation of stakeholder management in challenging circumstances. Variety of large and complex project delivery experience to underpin trusted advice.
TfNSW Parramatta Light Rail 2017 – Current
Senior Project Manager, Sections including Scope Definition and Interface Development
The management of scoping to bring the project from a design development into Project Definition phase completion including urban design input and design change management. Following procurement positioning the model required extensive review of interface risk/management as well as asset management during delivery and defining the permanent Light Rail Corridor within streets and previous heavy rail corridors. The role is transitioning into Infrastructure Delivery management.
TfNSW Sydney Metro – North West Rail Link and City and South-West 2011 – 2017
Live Rail Constructability Specialist, Delivery Coordination and Technical Advisor Team
City and South-West (2016 – 2017)
The development of the project reference design as part of the technical advisor team with a strong focus on constructability around the existing network interface points including Chatswood Dive, Central Station, Sydenham Dive and the conversion of the Bankstown Line. This also included input into business case development and EIS development with TfNSW client teams.
Integral part of a multi-discipline team developing the Sydney Metro design for the City and South West alignments under Sydney. Develop the delivery logic and possession analysis, including operational constraints of the Sydney Trains live network, focusing on Central station in detail.
NorthWest Rail Link(2011-2016)
Constructability planning leading into the business case and EIS, then further development of delivery coordination on the OTS Contract for the Sydney Metro line between Cudgegong and Chatswood, 8 new stations, 15.5 kilometres of tunnels, 4 kilometre elevated section, including conversion of the Epping Chatswood Rail Line (ECRL). Tasks including develop initial planning for interface works at Chatswood, Rail System fitout for Tunnels/Viaducts and the Stabling Depot. Delivery Coordination and Product Verification (DCPV) team for the team delivery of the $3.8B PPP Operations, Trains and Systems Contract. Key coordinator for the OTS segregation/conversion of the existing network Epping Chatswood Rail Line.
TfNSW Planning & Programs – Sydney Rail Future (SRF) 5 Stage Delivery Program 2011 – 2015
Construction planning and staging assessment incl. Western Express, CBD Rail Extension, Early CBD Light Rail Alignments, 2nd Harbour Crossing with focus on connections at Redfern, Central and North Shore Line at St Leonards supporting business case development. Development of a draft Delivery Framework for Construction Plans for TfNSW/DoT.
Staging development of Wynyard Station into Wynyard Walk Interface Coordination T1 (North Shore and Main North Lines) (SRF 2).
South West Rail Link – Glenfield Interchange 2010 – 2011
Detail long term planning for up to 4 years. RPS staging plans showing each possession detail. Design review for constructability and staging issues and opportunities. Issues ID with O&M owner resolutions.
Transport Projects – Auburn Stabling Project 2010 – 2011
Client representation with technical advisor, costing and driving best for project holistic outcomes. Ensuring the proposed facilities and adjoining rail operations achieved successful interface agreements. Detailed long term planning for up to 2 years RPS staging plans showing each possession detail.
Southern Sydney Freight Line – Rebirthing 36km project staging and delivery 2010 – 2010
Leighton Contractors – Westall Junction, VIC + RRLA Package G Tender Input 2010 – 2010
Sydney Metro Authority –Sydney Metro Stage 1 incl Light Rail Interfacing 2009 – 2010
TIDC – Liverpool Turnback Planning and Signal Resource Profiling 2009 – 2009
TIDC/Parsons Brinckerhoff – North Strathfield Rail Underpass Concept Dev 2009 – 2009
RailCorp – Rail Clearways Programme across 12 Major Node Network Upgrades 2004 – 2009
Qualifications & Affiliations
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil), 1st Class Honours, University of Technology, Sydney, 1997
- Member of the Institute of Engineers Australia for 25+ Years, PWI Committee 20+ years
- ICAM Trained Lead Investigator, Internal Quality Auditor Trained, Protection Officer over 20 Years
- Mountain Bike Enthusiast, Soccer Player and Coach, Motorcyclist, 4WDriver