Construction Management & Rail Infrastructure
Phil’s career spans over 30 years in Rail Infrastructure with various government organisations and private enterprises. Phil has specialist experience in project and construction management involving large scale configuration changes such as major junction modifications, plain track construction and supporting structure installations. Phil draws on his extensive track possession management experience involving large multi-discipline teams. His strengths lay in his ability to rationalise complex problems using the skills of team around him both locally and contacts throughout the industry. His belief in empowering a team to bring out the best solutions is part of his natural leadership style and in this way Phil combines with the other members of Rail Planning Services to deliver a truly balanced team of rail experienced professionals
- Significant experience in railway construction management specialising in time critical possession planning and multi-disciplinary integration in rail infrastructure with various government organisations and private enterprises. Specialist experience in project and construction management involving large scale configuration changes such as major junction modifications, plain track construction and supporting civil infrastructure installations.
Strengths & Skills
- Ability to rationalise complex problems using past experience and the skills of the team around me both locally and contacts throughout the industry.
- Extensive track possession management experience involving large multi-discipline teams.
- Strong belief in empowering a team to bring out the best solutions delivering a truly balanced team of rail experienced professionals.
Greatrak/ Rail Planning ServicesContractor/Consultant1994 – Present
- Constructability advisor for the Sydney Metro City and South West primarily focused on the Central Station live interface for the Sydney yard access bridge, Suburban platform modification for the eastern Concourse construction and Sydney Yard modifications for the construction of the proposed Metro box beneath Platforms 12-14.
- Planning consultant for the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor North Strathfield Rail Underpass; the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Epping Thornleigh Third Track and the Northern Sydney Freight Corridor Gosford Passing Loops involving engagement in this project is current with a budget of $600 million. Assisted in the planning and staging of the Auburn Stabling Facility Clyde Connection Works; Clyde Junction Project (LGCUP Stages 12 & 13)
- Construction Manager for RailCorp and eventually the consultant for Transport for NSW on the South West Rail Link Glenfield Junction Interchange Project involving the renewal of Glenfield Junction and associated detailed interfaces with the Southern Sydney Freight Line project and the Glenfield to Leppington rail link.
- Construction Manager for RailCorp managing the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link Interface Works Sydney. The project involved the multi-disciplined construction management of civil, track, signals, communications, OHW, HV and LV electrical infrastructure in the live rail environment. Detailed possession planning and management on over 80 possessions were the corner stone of the success of the project works.
- These project works involved the direct management of the construction of over $170M of rail infrastructure in the live rail corridor. Responsible for overall management of the construction of the Epping and Chatswood interfaces of the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link Project, including all stagework.
- Project Manager for Rail Services Australia (RSA) managing the Illawarra Bridge Renewal Programme on the South Coast. This project involved the construction, modification and subsequent demolition of over 40 rail under-bridges and over-bridges over the course of a 4 year construction programme.
- Civil Project Manager for State Rail managing the planning and construction of the civil works component for the South Coast Electrification project from Dapto to Kiama.
- Involvement in other major projects includes the Illawarra Geotechnical Remediation Works, Port Kembla Coal Loader and the Port Kembla Grain Terminal.
Qualifications & Affiliations
- Certificate IV Workplace Trainer & Assessor – 2000
- Advanced Certificate, Management – 1994
- Rigger class one
- Rail Industry Safety Induction
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Member of The Permanent Way Institute
Participant winner of the Steve Maxwell Plate Laying Award and the Ken Erickson Award.