- Chris is a professional electrical engineer with extensive experience in rail infrastructure for various government organisations and private enterprises. Chris’s rail industry experience has been in variety of areas including testing and commissioning of substations/section huts and 1500V dc traction overhead wiring (OHW), substation design, plus the construction and maintenance of traction substations /sectioning huts, high voltage (HV) distribution (aerial transmission lines and above ground/underground cables) and OHW.
Strengths & Skills
- The planning and construction of new works and upgrades/modifications to existing infrastructure.
- Expertise in assisting Rail organisations by consulting on the construction planning and commissioning of major rail projects across
- Able to link to technical electrical aspects of projects from specialist designers to pragmatic delivery solutions and well constructed logic for project
- Thrives on the electrical challenge that others cannot resolve.
- Thorough understanding of possession delivery techniques across electrical and interfacing
Rail Planning Services
Electrical Engineer – Contractor/Consultant 2008–current
Undertaking work for various clients on a variety of roles, from concept through to construction and commissioning for 1500V dc OHW, substations/sectioning huts and HV distribution. Providing Electrical Engineering expertise for projects, responsible for coordinating with designers and delivering construction support for OHW, HV distribution and substations/sectioning huts. Multiple contractor & stakeholder interface management. Construction staging and planning and program development, plus Construction management for OHW, HV and substations/sectioning huts. Design review for constructability for OHW final and stageworks designs, preparation of staging for final layout and management of interfaces with other Sydney trains representatives and other contractors. Projects include South West Rail Link Stage 1 (Glenfield Junction) for TfNSW, Northern Sydney Freight Corridor (initial staging for Gosford Passing Loops and Epping Thornleigh Third Track – PB/TfNSW, plus detailed planning and construction assistance for North Strathfield Rail Underpass- NSRU Alliance), Kingsgrove to Revesby Quadruplication (K2RQ) – Leighton Contractors.
RailCorp (now Sydney Trains)
Rail Systems Manager – Epping to Chatswood Rail Link 2001 – 2008
Responsible for the construction of electrical infrastructure (OHW, HV and substations) for the interface works at Chatswood and Epping, plus associated works at Eastwood, Parramatta and a new bulk supply point at Berowra. Coordinated all the Signalling and Communications works up until the final stages of the project, when these functions were then done by the technical specialists from within RailCorp.
Rail Services Australia (now Sydney Trains)
Senior Project Manager – Wynyard and Town Hall Stations and
Dapto to Kiama Electrification 2000 – 2001
LV switchgear replacements at Wynyard and Town Hall stations and the OHW works for the Dapto to Kiama Electrification.
Electrical Manager – New Southern Railway (Airport Line) 1997 – 2000
Electrical design and the construction of the OHW, HV cables and LV distribution within the tunnels, all electrical works within 5 new railway stations (11kV/415V substations and LV lighting and distribution), a traction substation and a section hut.
Qualifications & Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Polytechnic of the South Bank, London, England)
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering (Systems Engineering) (University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia)
- Rail Industry Safety Induction + Occupational Health & Safety Construction Induction
- Member of The Permanent Way Institute